• Donna Darovich $1,500. Recognizes excellence in writing
across all sections — news, arts, lifestyle, people stories. As a Star-Telegram reporter, Donna
Darovich won consecutive feature-writing first places in Associated Press
Managing Editors competitions. Texas Press Women twice named her
the state’s Most Outstanding Woman Journalist.
• Jerry Flemmons $1,000. Jerry Flemmons excelled at features, and he could turn a mean Gridiron
This scholarship rewards outstanding feature writing.
• Joe Holstead $1,000. Recognizes superior broadcast journalism. Larger-than-life Texas Radio
Hall of Fame
member Joe Holstead was one of Fort Worth-Dallas’ most revered news personalities.
• Staley and Beverly McBrayer $2,000. Recognizes excellence in college student media or as an intern with a
professional news organization. Think of this as Fort Worth SPJ’s MVP award. Staley McBrayer marketed the offset press, which revolutionized the
• Al Panzera $1,000. Recognizes outstanding photojournalism. Trailblazing Star-Telegram
photographer Al Panzera designed “Big Bertha,” a 4x5 Graflex telephoto camera customized for sports.
• Jack B. Tinsley $1,500. Recognizes excellence in opinion writing such as columns and editorials.
Jack Tinsley was Star-Telegram executive editor from 1975 to 1986 and led the
paper to two Pulitzer Prizes.
Lina Davis Scholarship $2,000. Honors the memory of
longtime Arlington, Texas, educator and mentor Lina Davis, a nurturing and
progressive journalism teacher at Sam Houston
and Arlington high schools. Several Lina Davis Scholarships may be awarded each
Jay Milner Scholarship $1,000. Celebrates the contributions to journalism and journalism education of
author/teacher Jay Milner, who is perhaps best known for his “Confessions of a Maddog: A Romp Through the High-Flying Texas Music and Literary
Era of the Fifties to the Seventies,” a chronicle of his exploits with the gonzo horde. This scholarship is intended
for students with great financial need.